Tuesday was election day. After dropping the girls off I headed over to vote. I'm amazed that I was able to walk right in and vote. I thought for sure this year with so many people being disgruntled about politics that the line would weave itself out the door and up the hall ... maybe even out to the front door. But I was in and out in less than 10 minutes. Yay! I've been trying to keep up with all of the happenings in the election - but I have to admit that all of the negative campaigning was very ... well negative. While doing my daily news surfing I found an article about two men running for the same seat in Connecticut. They both decided that they were going to run a kind and compassionate campaign and instead of focusing on tearing each other down, focused on what they could offer their constituents and what they thought were the important issues. What a novel idea! The one man even said that if he didn't win he would still support the other politician 100%. Wow - an election where you weren't left questioning the winner's abilities or ethics. I wish more people were like that.
Later that day we had an election of our own for dinner. I made up a ballot and each of us got to choose what kind of pasta, sauce, veggie, and dessert we had. As per normal elections some were upset about the results of the vote, but still ate what was offered. :) No crying like election 2008.
Wednesday was a craft and science day. After Annika's piano lesson we started our Thanksgiving countdown craft list. Today was making cornucopias out of candy. Yum :) Each of the girls filled their little cornucopias with candy that "looked" like food and even made a few of their own foods out of starbursts and tootsie rolls.
Later after Dave came home we had a science night and made home-made catapults out of a block of wood, clothes pin, popsicle stick, and a bottle cap. Add a bit of hot glue to the mix and the girls were launching pennies all over the kitchen and family room. There are so many great ideas online of fun things to do with kids - almost a bit overwhelming there are so many!
Thursday - presentation at Annika's school on the Netherlands and Belgium. I was invited to come give a 20 minute presentation to all the kindergarten classes about what Belgium and the Netherlands are like. The first group wiggled and giggled through the first 10 minutes of the presentation and then talked with their mouths full of stroopwafels and nutella the second half. :) The afternoon group did better - probably because I zoomed through the presentation and talked mostly about the food and Sinterklaas - two things they like and can relate to. It was fun doing the presentation and getting all the food for them to try. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures myself. But the plates of food looked good :) Belgian chocolates, great dutch bread with chocolate sprinkles and nutella, and a stroopwafel. What is there not to like. :)
Later in the afternoon the girls headed over to Emma and Matthew's to have a fun tea party. Thanks!
Friday - school, cleaning, the usual. Dave came home early - super nice surprise! Yay! The girls made pine cone turkeys, hand print boats,and then lounged in the sun on the deck with Dave - with ipods in hand.
Later that evening we headed over to Pirate Island to celebrate Annika and Emma passing off their Pslams 100. Each of the kids in the kindergarten class had to recite all of Psalms 100 during class - it's LONG - look it up. For passing it off they got a free kid's meal at Pirate Island. They all had a super fun time.
Saturday we were able to go to Logan's baptism down in Provo. For Utah County his baptism was unusual - he was the only one being baptized. Usually there are 5 to 8 kids being baptized during the same meeting. So it was nice that it was focused just on him.
The rest of the day was spent at home being crafty. We made a crayon roll for our church bag and started to make a pilgrim doll. We still need to add quite a bit to this little sock doll - and yes - she is a Hello Kitty Pilgrim girl. :)
That night while Annika was getting her teeth brushed the other front tooth came out. Kind of ironic because her piano teacher just gave her "All I want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth" to play at the Christmas recital. :) The tooth fairy was very generous and gave her $2 to celebrate losing both of her front teeth.
Sunday we had a special stake conference - Elder Cook came to visit our stake. It was a fantastic meeting and gave me renewed vigor to keep up with the daily necessities of prayer, scripture study, and more prayer.
After rest and relaxation Dave did Science Sunday with the girls. We are starting off this weekly tradition with Candy Experiments. They both had so much Halloween candy that we decided to use it to do a few experiments.
We also tried to do a density rainbow experiment with skittles, but it didn't work so well. Just ended up a big brownish purplish puddle of yuck. Oh well - at least we tried. :)
After we were finished with our science projects we started our Thanksgiving count down craft project - wax paper leaves. They turned out pretty well. :)

3 comments:
What a fun week! I love doing presentations in school. I did dinos and indians when Kate was in kindergarten. Oh, and China when she was in 2nd grade. The kids loved meeting our friend from China (timelines hooked up perfectly for her to come), and also holding real truly dinosaur bones. :)
How fun! I would love all the sites you had found all those fun little bits on. Have you heard of Steve Spangler? He is Awesome and has some really fun science things on his site. Just FYI
What fun things you are doing with your girls. I am sure they are learning a lot while having fun. You are Dave are awesome parents.
Post a Comment